Monday, June 27, 2005

 

Eternal Wars

There was no were to run, no where to hide, it was all gone. Slearon’s home town had put a bounty on him and his family, and they were now being hunted like deer. If they didn’t find some were to stay the night they would no doubt freeze in the cold. His father Ruthiel had found a fox and it had been a good supper but we had spent the last of the matches on the fire for cooking and even though they took some burning branches with them they had gone out when it rained. It began to get dark when their prayers were answered. They saw a cave. They didn’t have time to check it was safe but once they were in it seemed safe enough. Since there was no fire Lethner the mother took some cloths she had bundled together and lay them down. They all slept close to preserve body heat, Sleaon was so tired he fell asleep instantaneously.

When Slearon awoke it was still dark but it wasn’t so cold next to him was his older sister Lerous who was holding his baby brother Relious. Relious was born with a scar on his face it went from the top of his eye to his cheek. He wondered were His parents had gotten to and then he saw them sitting by the entrance they were hugging and looked so peace full, then he heard crying and realised it was his mother he tried to listen and he heard what they were saying.

“…but my mother and father my sisters my brothers they are all back in Perountes and what of the children” as Lethner said this she turned her head to look at the kids Slearon quickly lay down and pretended to be asleep. She took a deep breath and continued “They have no proper education; there is no sure source if food, they will run out of clothes, they could get diseases, we can’t stay in this cave forever, and soon enough…”.

She was cut short by Ruthiel “Don’t worry my love I will sort it all out but I can’t go back they will put me away even kill me what will happen to the children then, I still stand by what I did I refuse to give in.”

“Then can we find a new town as soon as possible,” pleaded Lethner

“Of course my dear I will assure a future for our children,” after saying this Ruthiel kissed Lethner and went to bed.

Lethner stayed out a little longer looking at the stars and wondering she had the idea the cave wasn’t as safe as it seemed, there was a gust of wind and Lethner shivered, she looked out to the woods she thought she saw something it was coming towards them, she stepped back she was going to wake up her husbands but she refrained, she grabbed a stick, she was poised for attack, but when the thing got a little closer she realised it was only a fox “I’m getting paranoid” Lethner said to herself. Lethner then got under the covers with Ruthiel and fell asleep, closely followed by Slearon who drifted back to sleep.

Slearon awoke the next day to see his whole family up “Slearon come over her I need to talk to you” Ruthiel was sitting on a rock at the back of the cave, Slearon was tiered but obeyed his fathers command and sat by him in the back of the cave as his mother and sister collected the bundles and folded them.

“Father you called me,” said Slearon.

“Yes Slearon my dear” as Ruthiel said this Slearon noticed his father was very uneasy “Slearon I have to beg for forgiveness” Ruthiel started shaking.

“Father what have you done, nothing without good cause oyu have done nothing wrong you simply…”

Ruthiel put his hand up and Slearon stopped talking “just let me talk” It looked like what Slearon said just got him more upset “if it wasn’t for me you would still be with your friend I have ruined you life” he started crying “and now I most turn to you and request something from you as a prisoner begs for his life” Ruthiel broke down and just crying like a baby.

“Father its ok father I love you and would do anything for you just request it and it shall be done to the best of my ability” after saying this Slearon embraced his father.

Ruthiel looked up with a tier sodden face he put his hand on Slearon’s face and said “I love you so much” and with that Slearon began crying as well. Then Ruthiel continued “As the father of this family, I am charged with the protection of this family, but I fear I am unable to protect you all as much as you need It.” with this Ruthiel looked down again but this time he held back the tears.

“Father what are you saying home much danger are we in” as Slearon said this he back frantic he was scared for his mother visions of his dead parents came into his mind Slearon was like that his mind would speed up time and he would jump to drastic conclusions who would feed him and his sister and his brother for that fact he was young and need his milk. This thought was followed by another what if his brother and sister didn’t need food what if they were died, he would avenge there deaths never stop they could do anything they wanted I will find them Slearon was much braver in his head then real life.

It was Ruthiel’s voice that brought Slearon back to earth “Slearon I want you to take this” during Slearon’s daydream Ruthiel had brought out a dagger. The dagger had a very plain scabbard made of wood it was slightly curved but more curved at the top of the blade than the bottom the handle had not hilt it was just a wooden end that had been rapped in leather that was now very light since it had been worn away “I know it wont help protect us any more than before and I realise that you have never held a let alone wield a blade of any kind not even a small Dagger like this but hopefully it will serve its propose don’t lose it, it was my first sword. Mind you don’t mention this to your mother she wont be to pleased with me if she found out she wants you to be an upright good citizen of a town but we have necessities,”

Slearon Took the Dagger and examined it he pulled it out of its small sheath it was hard steel but engraved on it was a picture of a griffin (A lion with eagles’ wings and eagle’s talons). Then after a few seconds without anyone talking Slearon broke the silence “thank you I will try my best to do your will father”

Ruthiel smiled and said “that’s all I ask “

Ruthiel stood up and began to walk away when Slearon stopped him and said “Father Can I ask you a question”

“Of cause my son ask you can anything you want” Ruthiel said sitting down again.

“Why are we running, why are we hiding and who do we need protection from. Why do we go without food, we down we pray to find shelter we do not have and why can’t I see my friends what has happened that has triggered these misfortunes upon us” as Slearon said this he thought of his good friend Tolus he was strong brave and as kind as anything.

“Oh its well eh complicated” Ruthiel seemed to be lost for words he waited a second thought about the best way to put it and started again “Well you know that there are some very powerful and influential people in our old town”

Slearon was unsure if he understood his father but none the less the replied by saying “Yes I think I understand” hoping that later he under stand exactly were he was going with this.

“Well if you have money you have influence” Ruthiel paused thinking abot a better way to say it “I saw a boy from our town called Torodus doing something, something not right something bad something…”

Slearon interrupted “Doing what Father”.

“He was beating a girl, Torodus was beating his wife, and he saw me watching so I had to run. Latter that night his Father Porotus came round to our house he had a bag of gold told me if I kept my mouth shut it was mine but if I told the police he would never let me rest. I didn’t take if your worried I told the authorities but they had already been bribed they tried to get me but I ran then you know the rest I ran onto to house and we left and we have been running since but I think there is a bounty on our heads so we must run” after saying this Ruthiel looked down and mumbled one more thing “sorry I have let you down”,

Slearon looked at him a smiled “I’m proud of you lesser men would have accepted the bribe while greater men would have left us back there to suffer Porotus I love you so much” After saying this he latched the dagger safely on his belt and gave his father a hug.

Ruthiel Looked up and spoke “I thank you my son. I love you so much”

“We have to leave or we will be found” shouted Lethner from the front of the cave.

“Were coming one minute” Ruthiel shouted in reply.

Slearon and his family set of Lerous was holding Relious in here arms Lethner had the bundles on here back Ruthiel was leading the way with Slearon at hid side

* * *

They had walked for a good three hours they were getting weary but going strong when all of a sudden there was a whistling sound they turned around and Lerous was dead on the ground Relios was crying he had been dropped by Lerous who had a crossbow bolt in her head, they had been found Slearon and Ruthiel ran to Behind trees but Lethner overrun with grief ran to Lerous’s she was sobbing at here head. She lifted Lerous and kissed here she screamed

“Come back it’s not safe” Ruthiel shouted franticly but she would not listen.

“Please mother, hide” shouted Slearon.

Even if Lethner wanted to hide it was to late the next shot was just as accurate and just a deadly it hit here in the chest and she fell flat on here face then they saw the crossbowman and he saw them.

Ruthiel jumped out and shouted to Slearon “Run save yourself or we will both be killed” but Slearon was rooted to the spot Ruthiel shouted again “run there is nothing you can do here”, this time Slearon listened and ran.

Ruthiel drew a sword its handle also had a griffin on it Slearon stopped so that he could see what was happening but the assassin couldn’t see him, Slearon climbed up a near a tree for a better view.

As Slearon watched he saw his father run at the Killer with his blade drawn, but as Ruthiel ran the assassin pulled out a curved dagger across him it caught Ruthiel in the chest and throat.

As Ruthiel’s limp body dropped to the ground Slearon had to grab his face not to make a sound and give away his position.

When everything was silent and the air had calm the murderer began walking away when breaking the silence came the sound of a small muffled baby. It was Relious the murderer took out his knife again moved away Lerous and Lethners body he lifted his blade and before he struck he stopped and looked at the crying baby. The baby fell silent and returned the look

Employment

Chapter Two

Five years later in a one bedroom apartment deep in the slums of Kojan Slearon was hanging out of a window trying to hide from his landlord, he hadn’t paid his rent for two months and was now one owed a hundred pieces of silver and didn’t now how much longer he could take it.

Kojan was designed to be a circle with the highest classes in the centre and spreading out to lower class around the rim the idea was that the centre would grow and the people would integrate to make a perfect society the only problem was that the founders of kojan were so virtuous they couldn’t understand people that weren’t so only three generations later two wall’s are being built to separate aristocrats , businessmen, and scum which was actually the term given to them that they embarrassed. As a result civil war isn’t to far off and no one has any sense of safety. This is true to almost everyone except there were three pollutions who joint ruled and they were loving it, it was all in there master plan that soon they would fix everything and look like hero’s to world. It was Ploroth he was a priest and very friendly with the aristocrats. Then there was Gloitril a giant of a man he owned a mercenary camp and was currently had limitless contract to defend the city. And the last was Cashrik he was the money behind the operation and was currently buying his twenty-eighth farm complex and had about ten wives all paid for by the farmers he exploited.

But none of this meant anything to Slearon he had to get his bills paid so he knew what he had to do. He climbed down the building by wedging himself between his building and the one next door with his arms. He slowly drooped himself to the ground and headed to the centre of town he had business.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?